There’s a saying in the aviation world: the only person being gentle with your luggage is you. And if you watch any of the Youtube videos that present you the ways your luggage is handled after you check it in, you know I’m right. This is why I have decided to invest in good quality luggage. Plus, now I can offer you this Samsonite B-Lite Icon Spinner review.
All of my life I have never understood the point of paying a little bit more for a quality product. I would always say “this cheaper version is the same but cheaper”. Well, it’s never quite true though, is it? The cheaper version never really looks the same, works the same, or lasts the same. More often, all three apply.
And in the end, buying cheaper products will make you pay more over time, as you’ll have to replace them more often. Plus, you’ll use the low-quality one, and your experience will be affected by it. There’s a very good explanation for this concept provided by Terri Pratchett if you’re curious.
“Take boots, for example. He earned $38 a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost $50. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about $10.
Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.
But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in 10 years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.”Terry Pratchett, Night Watch
Let me be straight with you. I know this product is far from being the budget option. I also know it has plenty of benefits, but ultimately it is your decision if it’s a good fit for you or not. In the end, you’re going to be the one to use it. So check out this short list and see if you fit the bill.
The Samsonite B-lite Spinner is for you if:
- you have a mid-range budget to travel
- you like to look attractive while traveling
- you don’t like making an effort while you’re on vacation
- you like a high-quality product that will last for what seems like forever
- you travel for work and need to look presentable
The Samsonite B-Lite Icon Spinner is NOT for you if:
- your travel mode is mostly backpacking
- you are focused on being especially comfortable looking while traveling
- you are mostly going in areas where wheels are not easy to manage
- you are very budget-conscious
This is the first time I am impressed with a wheeled suitcase. Like, what can be so special about a box with 2 or 4 wheels, am I right? My thoughts exactly! But then, we had to go to our home country this Christmas for the first time with the baby. Let me paint you a picture:
We have the 71 cm (28 inches) version and buying the next available size as I’m writing this. On that trip, I was carrying a backpack, pushing a baby stroller with one hand (the Yoyo BabyZen, if you’re curious), and rolling the Samsonite with the other. And I’m quite small and not as strong as I should be for my size.
My husband was carrying a backpack and a piece of similar luggage but from a different company (Lamonza, if you’re curious). The same size, also a 4 wheeled one, similar weight. When we got to the destination, his hand was hurting. I could have gone a few more hours. This, my friends, is the difference between high quality and…everything else.
Check out the benefits and features of this product!
Samsonite B-Lite Icon Spinner review – benefits
- very easy to maneuver with one hand, even for a long time
- water-resistant to keep your valuables safe
- very durable, will last for longer
- very light so it’s easy for anyone to use
- looks effortlessly beautiful and elegant
- it’s very silent due to the high-quality materials used
- you can adjust the handle at your desired height
- comes in multiple color options for all tastes
- everything is high quality (fabrics, wheels, zips, handles), for a distinctive look
- Samsonite offers a warranty for 2-10 years or even a lifetime option for some products
- available in a wide range of sizes so you can order a matching set
Samsonite B-Lite Icon Spinner review – features
- one external and one internal pocket to better organize your baggage
- clips to mount your straps on while you pack
- easily expandable for that little bit of extra volume
- has 4 wheels that move easily in all directions
- made out of soft fabric so it cannot be broken easily (as it happens with hard cases)
- TSA lock to keep your valuables safe while being TSA complaint
- top and side handles for easier carrying while not rolling it
- adjustable handle on all heights, not only the maximum
- discreet name tag to keep the professional look
- weights 4.84 pounds for the 16.54-inch model, so very lightweight
What I love the most about the Samsonite B-Lite Icon Spinner: how easy it is to roll it around. Like, it’s almost like it’s not even touching the ground. It’s like ice skating but without the risk of falling. Also, I love the adjustable handle. I’m short and most handles are way too high for me to use comfortably.
Samsonite B-Lite Icon Spinner – disadvantages
There are also a few disadvantages that I would like to include in my Samsonite B-lite Icon Spinner review as well. I like to have more pockets to be able to better organize my stuff. I would love to have the internal pocket split into a few smaller ones, as I’d use them for socks, underwear, and similar small items. Also, a separated padded pocket for electronics might be handy for some.
But for business travelers, this pocket can be better used for shirts that should be kept wrinkle-free, so maybe this is just a feature or a curse, depending on the user. Also, most people use a backpack or laptop sleeve for their electronics as they cannot check them in any way and you feel like you are keeping them safer this way.
Some reviewers have also complained about the TSA lock being either broken (in which case a full warranty should cover you) or hard to open as the instructions were not clear enough. I’m not sure if maybe I got the newer version that was maybe improved in the meantime, but we managed to use the lock just fine with the provided instructions (which you can see in one of the pictures if you want to be sure you can do it). In any case, I recommend a dry run before with your empty bag to be sure you have this clear.
What more can I add to this Samsonite B-Lite Icon Spinner review? If it was not already clear by now, I love it! My world has been rocked since I have discovered that you can travel without suffering, even if you don’t manage to be a light packer. What are you waiting for?